Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Food Adventures

I don't have much to share today, but I wanted to do a post dedicated to the food we have been enjoying lately.  Not having a job, I spend a ridiculous amount of time going between food blogs, cookbooks, the grocery store (which is luckily just down the street!), and the kitchen.  We were also introduced to a British reality show called "The Great British Bake-off" by our lovely roommate, Clare (who herself is British).  On this show, amateur bakers complete specific baking challenges each week until finally one of them beats out the rest and wins the competition.  As is the trend with most shows we love, we have made a habit out of watching an episode (or six) in the evening and let me tell you, there is only so long you can sit there and watch a bunch of people make 48 macarons each and not be tempted to try it yourself.

My own vanilla macarons!
Back at home, I had definitely transitioned out of baking, as we had pretty much stopped using wheat or grains in our cooking.  The Nutritional Therapy program I completed advocates for a more ancestral diet, consisting of protein, vegetables and very few (if any) fermented grains, and we adopted this way of eating pretty whole-heartedly.  While I still believe in eating ancestrally (aka eating whole foods), I think the past couple months have been a great exercise in being flexible and more open-minded about what constitutes a "healthy" diet.  I am learning that for me, not being ultra regimented is the best way to go because this lowers my stress levels and I can actually enjoy eating a variety of foods.  And, honestly, I have really loved baking again.  Every week I try my hand at making challah bread for Shabbat dinner, and I always feel so accomplished when I pull a lovely braided loaf out from our measly toaster oven.  When I bake I really feel like I am embarking on a project and there is a sense of accomplishment when I finish.  These days, that sense of purpose is something I long for often.  Sometimes my projects turn out and other times they really don't, but the beauty of having time on my hands is that I can try again until I succeed.


My first attempt at making challah turned out really well.  I used a recipe from Smitten Kitchen for an olive oil and fig loaf and I would highly recommend it.


The egg wash on the challah made a lovely pattern on the parchment paper.  We saved this and it now hangs in our kitchen :)
I should also mention that, in addition to eating more baked goods, we have been eating a lot of vegetables and fruit :)  I have still been intentional about using as many local foods as possible, as I really want to come home with lots of new recipes up my sleeve.  When we have friends over for Shabbat dinner, I try to create dishes that will seem familiar to our Israeli guests, even if I have added my own touches here and there.  One of our favorite dishes to make is roasted eggplant with tahina, which is delicious but photographs terribly (as you can clearly see below-- my apologies).  You'll have to take my word for it, but this is a really simple recipe that I highly recommend you try in your own kitchen.  Serve this alongside some extra tahina for dipping, pita (or other dipping device, like cucumbers or bell peppers), and a big salad.  Welcome to Jerusalem.
That mush with cheese on top is the finished eggplant.  We're not winning any beauty pageants here.

Eggplant with Tahina
 serves 2

1 large eggplant, washed and dried
Tahina, for drizzling (recipe below)
Couple tablespoons parsley, chopped
Feta, or other salty cheese
Olive oil, for drizzling
Sea salt, preferably coarse

Place the whole eggplant either under the broiler in your oven or over a hot grill and cook until the skin is charred (in my toaster oven this takes about 20-30 minutes), turning once or twice.  Remove eggplant from the oven and pierce with a fork to allow steam to escape, then let it cool for a few minutes.  Once you can comfortably handle the eggplant, use a sharp knife to cut lengthwise down the middle, but leave the stem in tact.  The skin should peel off easily, leaving you with the soft white flesh of the eggplant attached to its stem.

Arrange the eggplant on a plate and use a knife to slash through it a little bit (I find this allows more tahina and olive oil to seep in).  Drizzle with a couple tablespoons of tahina and about a tablespoon of olive oil (As is the case with everything in this recipe, I never measure, so use your best judgement here).  Sprinkle liberally with sea salt, crumbled feta cheese, and chopped parsley.

Tahina
makes about 1/3 cup (or the perfect amount for drizzling on an eggplant and serving as a dip on the side)

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1/2 a lemon)
1 tablespoon whole milk yogurt (optional)
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup tahini paste (this can be found in most grocery stores, usually by the other nut/seed butters-- tahini is just ground sesame seeds!)
Sea salt 

In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice, water, salt, and yogurt (if using).  Add the tahini paste and stir until the mixture thickens.  If you want a thinner sauce, add more water or lemon juice, otherwise taste for salt and serve.

If you will be serving this as a side dish, I recommend spreading it out on a little plate.  Top with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.

Note: This sauce will keep for a few days (at least) in the fridge, but you will need to thin it out each time you want to use it.

1 comment: